Mustang Media

Tougher Than She Looks

Maya Ochoa: Creekiew's Female Football Phenomenon

Peacock Sports Photos

Peacock Sports Photos

Bryan Ramirez, Staff Writer

Creekview football is beginning to take shape, as freshman football kicked off their season against Chisholm Trail a few weeks ago.  This year, however, a special individual will be joining Creekview’s football program. Freshman wide receiver Maya Ochoa is officially part of the Mustang’s football team and is ready to make an impact on and off the field.

Maya is currently the only female football player here at Creekview.

As a freshman in high school, it is clear that Maya is not like most of her peers. She displays a type of character and maturity that one doesn’t see in a typical teenager.

She acknowledges that playing football as a female athlete after high school will not be very likely to happen, so she will try to utilize the time that she has on the field during her high school career in the best way possible.

According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, 1,804 girls in the United States played football for their high schools in 2012. Currently in our district there are a handful of girls in football, which could set a trend for future female involvement in the sport.

“Perry Middle School has a girl on their football team, and now Newman Smith has a girl on their football team. So I definitely see it becoming more common and I don’t think it’s just because of me”, Ochoa said.

Her teammates have also noticed that she is just as determined as they are when it comes to working out and becoming a better athlete.

“She works hard just like the guys,” said freshman starting quarterback Donovan Bakare.

Bakare also has no doubt in Maya’s capabilities as an athlete. In fact, he believes that she is capable of one day earning a spot on the varsity team.

“I think she does [have the capabilities], but she has to feel like she’s one of us,” Bakare said.

Ochoa definitely has the determination and character to shine as a football player.

“When people say that girls can’t play football… it makes me want to fight stronger and prove them wrong… because I’m doing something I love,” Ochoa said.

Football is an activity perceived by the grand majority as a sport associated with men and only men. However, the beauty of sports is that virtually anyone can relate to them. No matter what gender, age, or nationality you may be, anyone can play soccer, basketball, or even football.

Maya Ochoa is here to prove that female football players can and will excel in a male-dominated sport if perseverance is the driving force backing them.

1 Comment

One Response to “Tougher Than She Looks”

1. marti glama delgado on September 14th, 2015 12:45 pm

My granddaughter is do inspired to achieve her goals in a positive way to introduce to all life’s challenges can be reached through hard work . And the love of the game.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Tougher Than She Looks

News

First SAT School-Day Testing a Success

• Tougher Than She Looks

News

Passing the torch: Sikon and Alarcon leaves a legacy in the campus

• Tougher Than She Looks

Showcase

Track mid-season starts off at Standridge Stadium

• Tougher Than She Looks

News

National Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month

• Tougher Than She Looks

Arts & Entertainment

Five students selected for Young Masters Exhibit

• Tougher Than She Looks

Showcase

Keith Mathews Breaks a 20-Year Record History at UIL Swim Meet

• Tougher Than She Looks

Showcase

Success at DECA Competition

• Tougher Than She Looks

News

The ‘Big Reveal’ Finally Uncovered

• Tougher Than She Looks

Arts & Entertainment

Creekview student nominated for best youth actress award

• Tougher Than She Looks

News

On Campus: Battling the Flu

Student Voice of Creekview HS
Tougher Than She Looks