Mustang Basketball: A Team on a Mission

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mustang Basketball: A Team on a Mission

Madi Utley

Madi Utley

Madi Utley

Bryan Ramirez, Staff Writer

Varsity boys basketball has started off the winter season with a respectable 5-3 record. Although none of these are district games yet, the team can only hope to win district for a consecutive year and clinch another playoff berth.

“We have made the playoffs the last two years,” varsity head coach Sean Tippett said. “And if we reach them again this year, it will be the first time in Creekview school history that we have made the playoffs three years in a row.”

Coach Tippett feels the program is heading in an upward direction after their success last season.

“Last year, we won a playoff game for the first time in 12 years, and top to bottom (Varsity, JV, Freshmen) the program had the most successful year in school history.”

Out of Creekview’s 11 varsity players, five of them are juniors. Although a popular belief amongst many may imply that inexperience negatively affects a team’s performance, those on the team believe this young talent brings a spark.

“The junior group can really play, so I don’t think the inexperience has a negative impact on our team,” Senior varsity shooting guard Carson Hudspeth said.

On the bright side, these five juniors getting the adequate playing time and direction as a varsity member will only mature their game for next season, providing a light at the end of the tunnel for the organization as a whole. 

“Our goal is to always play at our highest potential, whatever that may be,” Tippett said  

“We obviously have a goal of making the playoffs and advancing as far as we can. But practice to practice and game to game, we just want to perform and compete at a high level that will lead to success.”

The team seems to be very much motivated and determined to build upon their a playoff berth last year, and possibly win one this upcoming season.

“Our goal is for this team to live up to its potential,” Senior varsity shooting guard Hayden Ellis said. “If we do live up to it, then playoffs are definitely expected for us.”

For some of these players, this will be their last time playing the game they’re passionate about at the high school level. Whether or not any of these players continue their basketball careers into the collegiate level has yet to be determined, but for the time being, this 2015-2016 group strives to leave a legacy behind for the farm of talent to model in the future.

Creekview’s next game is against Prosper at 7:30pm on December 18. Their next home game, the team will see North Dallas come to town on December 22 in their first district bout.