So You Think You Can Cheer?

Back to Article
Back to Article

So You Think You Can Cheer?

Mira McKee

Mira McKee

Mira McKee

Darian Boddie, Staff Writer

You see them do stunts at the pep rallies, cheer for the football players on the sidelines and compete for a national championship title. They walk on campus in their uniforms on game days, train their butts off in second period and smile as if they weren’t exhausted. You know who they are: our Creekview cheerleaders.

Cheerleaders condition daily during second period. For them, it’s like a P.E. course in the morning. Let that idea sink in. P.E. in the morning, before you can fully start your day and get into your own little groove you have to work out and do stunts as if it’s your second nature. After a while, that’s what all of their cheers and stunts become, second nature, right next to their peppy behavior.

Being peppy is a part of who they are. They have smiles on their faces as if nothing in the world is going awry, but don’t let this fool you. They are just like us. They have their bad days where they don’t want to get out of bed and go to practice. But it’s a part of their job, which is exactly what cheerleading is. You are obligated to do certain things (whether you enjoy them or not) otherwise you’re out of a spot on the team.

It sounds so simple, to retire from the cheerleading squad, but that’s not how these girls look at it. Varsity cheerleader, Ragan Cantrell, had taken a break from the squad for one year before returning her senior year to be one of the three senior cheerleaders on the team.

These girls put their all into cheerleading; this activity is an extension of who they are. Why else would they toss themselves up into the air with the chance of getting seriously injured? If football players are applauded for working together and successfully winning games, why can’t cheerleaders be applauded when they win competitions? Why can’t it be a sport?

The definition of a sport, according to Merriam-Webster’s dictionary, is to play in a happy and lively way. While the definition is vague, the definition allows one to stretch it’s meaning to fit Cheerleading right into it. Not only that, cheerleading is a competitive sport where cheerleaders all around the world go to compete in national competitions.

Our very own Creekview cheerleaders have competed in these as well, just weeks ago they went to a UIL competition and thought they did not officially place they claimed to have “fun” and “gained enough experience” to go again next year.

However, the American Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Administrators (AACCA) has a page dedicated to cheerleading being a sport and they mention their own definition(s) of a sport which culminate to a total of four subsections. One of which, they believe, is not the main purpose of cheerleading: competition.

While cheerleading focuses more on pumping up the crowd during any and all athletic functions; they practice and condition just as much as football, basketball, and soccerball players do. So, why can’t it be a sport?