Thumbs Down: Bomb and School Shooting Threats

Back to Article
Back to Article

Danielle Thompson

Danielle Thompson

Danielle Thompson

David Hoyt, Opinions Editor

On Sunday, April 3rd, The Colony High school received an online threat of a school shooting, one of many in an epidemic of bomb threats and school shooting threats that have been sweeping the nation this past year.

Across the US, schools have been receiving threats like this, which has caused quite a commotion. In December, the Los Angeles Unified School District shut down all schools for a day after a district-wide threat was made that later turned out to be a hoax, and other schools have had the same problems in Ohio and Florida.

Both Hebron and Turner have received bomb threats in the past few years, both of which disrupted classes, and even Creekview received a school shooting threat last year. Most of these have turned out to be hoaxes done by disgruntled students who didn’t want to take a test, or just wanted to pull a prank.

School threats are a serious issue that can lead to major consequences. According to a study by the National School Safety and Security Services, 30 percent of threats cause the evacuation of the school, 10% result in the closing of school for a day, and over 300 arrests have been made, most of them being students. These threats disrupt class, make everyone run behind schedule, and ruin lives while heaping unneeded fear and stress upon the teachers and faculty.

School threats are not a joke. And they shouldn’t be treated like one either.