Mustang Media

Breaking the System

Back to Article
Back to Article

Breaking the System

Payton Whittaker, Staff Writer

Once upon a time, a young girl stood gazing at the sea contemplating how she might conquer it. Every day she watched as ships sailed across the expanse and wondered when her ship would come to carry her away. She longed to go away–the indefinable place of possibility–but spent her days dreaming, standing still by the shore.  

At a young age, we’re taught to believe in the magic of fairy tales. The prince saving the princess, defeating the dragon and living happily ever after. But as we grow up, we learn the hard way about painful realities of the world. You can’t just wish on a star and hope for a ship to appear. Unless you put in hard work of your own, nothing is going to change.

This young girl could be out building or buying a boat or constructing a bridge that connects the two bodies of land together but instead, this girl is doing nothing.

Procrastination is a more “grown-up” way of wishing on the first star. This vice of incorporating laziness into everyday life is a system of accepted ideologies that seem to have no consequences. If the little girl doesn’t build a boat, there’s no way she can fail. But it also lowers her chances of succeeding.

Of course there is a chance that, even if she tried, she could sink. Even if she spent all the time in the world constructing and testing her final product making the perfect sails and impenetrable deck, she could get halfway across the sea and spring a leak.

In the ocean of high school, you’re going to face obstacles like peer pressure, technology and senioritis that keep you from getting what you want. The only way to weave through these barriers is to keep that determined mindset and persevere.

Easier said than done, right? But if everything were easy, curiosity and the rush of new challenges would disappear. If everything were easy, the ocean would be a whole lot smaller.

Determination can easily be achieved if you know what you want. After that, there is only one more step; put this thing before anything else. Make it your number one priority. This is your baby. Whether your goal is to graduate from college, win an olympic gold medal or beat Adam Richman in a pie eating contest, your goal matters and you should do everything you can to succeed.

Break this system of ideologies and turn what was once tolerated laziness into praised achievement. Build your boat and set sail for the world ahead. Don’t worry if you spring a leak along the way, for mistakes lead to knowledge and knowledge leads to success.