Creekview’s Fall Show: Othello

Back to Article
Back to Article

Creekview’s Fall Show: Othello

Photo by: Christian Huling

Photo by: Christian Huling

Photo by: Christian Huling

Susie Sutherland, Staff Writer

As predicted, the 2016-2017 school year will kick off with blood and murder. Well, on the stage, at least. Creekview’s theatre department will be beginning its show lineup with a classic tale of love, hate, betrayal, and… cell phones? That’s right. Creekview’s returning theatre director, Robert Shepard, is directing this year’s production of Othello, but with a modern twist. Junior Josh Magee will be starring as Othello himself, along with senior Roxanne Hill playing Desdemona, Othello’s wife.

In this story, Othello, a respected black man in the military, finds himself caught in the grip of modern-day racism as he struggles with the conflicts surrounding him including his wife, Desdemona, his supposed best friend, Iago, played by junior Jacob McIntosh and his second in command, Michael Cassio, played by sophomore Kaden Yowell.

With themes of love, trust, regret and betrayal, this show is two hours of modernized Shakespeare art. This show will be the first taste of what is to come of this year’s talented Creekview theatre department.

This show will take place this Tuesday and Wednesday, September 20-21, at 7:00 p.m. in the Blackbox theatre on the first floor. Tickets are $5. Come support Creekview theatre this week.