Gardening Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gardening Club

Emma Hoffman, Staff Writer

Last Saturday, instead of getting ready for homecoming, some students met together at Creekview to plant various vegetables, ranging from cauliflower to brussel sprouts. The members of the gardening club take up this hobby behind the cafeteria.

The gardening club is led by a biology teacher Ramin Baranpourian, who is in his second year teaching, but the first year for the gardening club.

“Kids have everything going on,” said Baranpourain. “I think going to the garden and chilling and being in a very under stimulated environment can be really beneficial.”

Baranpourian said he sees depression and anxiety as a big issue among students, and he hopes gardening club can hope reduce this.

According to one study done by Gardener’s World, a UK magazine, gardening does actually make people happier, and less likely to be depressed.

“Students can maybe de-stress and reduce anxiety and depression and sleep better at night,” Baranpourian said.

Baranpourian also said he hopes students will be able to see food grow, and connect to it in a way they couldn’t if they just bought it at the grocery store.

“I’m enjoying it so far, I think it’s going well,” senior Cherese Bishop said, a member of the gardening club.

Bishop originally joined because she enjoys how hands on it is, and shares the hope with Baranpourians to eventually be able to feed the school.

Baranpourian would like to thank the community for allowing this to happen, including the students who have joined the program. If you want to learn more about gardening club and possibly join, you can find Mr. Baranpourian in room C362.