Mustang Media

Wranglers and Wranglerettes

Zoe Pettiford

Zoe Pettiford

Cassie Gilpin, Staff Writer

Wranglers have been part of a well loved tradition at Creekview for many years. They’ve evolved and changed throughout the years, but have always been able to maintain the Creekview spirit from the beginning.

Kurtis Kelley, senior and captain of the Wranglers this year, discussed about the process of coming up with new traditions for boosting morale at athletics games.

“Traditions are kind of forgotten due to the fact we can only play 10 to 11 games per year because we choke in the playoffs,” Kelley said. “The new traditions are just randomly made by the Wranglers and are discussed whether or not we will keep them.”

Oscar Salguero, senior, further explained how picking new traditions is like for new members.

“I don’t know the old traditions because I wasn’t a wrangler last year, but we’ve inspired some great new traditions this year that were really inspired by Kurtis Kelley and his massive addiction to Freebirds,” Salguero said. “Going to Freebirds before each game became a huge tradition of ours too.”

Salguero goes on to add how the Wranglers balance the new traditions with the old.

“Our old traditions are iconic – so people never get bored of them; I mean, plus we’re hilarious people so it’s not that hard to keep the old traditions going.”

However, the Wranglers have been subjected to the controversial debate of whether or not girls should be allowed to try out and potentially join the team. Kelley addressed the rumors and misconceptions about the whole ordeal.

“Girls are open to join wranglers, I don’t believe we have ever had one be a member,” Kelley said. “It’s been a group decision from the past wranglers and administrators that girls are able to try out, however if she’s willing to surround herself in a highly masculine and testosterone heavy setting, and she can run a flag, be energetic, and basically just get along with us, then we would totally be cool with her, or other girls, trying out.”

If interested in trying out for Wranglers, tryouts are on THIS Thursday, May 18th. Contact Coach J for more information.