Mustang Media

Write Your Heart Out

Sophomore Alazaeh Menjivar shares a poem while the poetry club sponsor Ms. Gilmore and Junior Jillian Vanderpuye listen intently.

Katriel Hart, Staff Member

Students are all too familiar with the idea of writing – essays, poetry, articles. By the end of high school, students have just about written every form of writing there is.

But there is one club on campus that’s creating a positive view on writing.

For anyone who hasn’t heard, the poetry club is going into its second year. Mane Event sat down with Mrs. Anderson, English teacher and sponsor, and seniors Mahak Merchant and Delyse Mitchell.

Q: How did poetry club come to be?

Anderson: Four years ago, as an end-of-year project, I had my AP Lit students plan a poetry slam and read-aloud and it’s become a tradition. Two years ago, I was like, ‘we really need to make this a club’ because I noticed a lot of the students who came out to the poetry slam weren’t necessarily writing in class but they were writing on their own. It officially became a club last year when senior Gwen Thompson and I decided to start it. Within that same month, we joined a poetry slam organization in Dallas called “Louder Than A Bomb.”

Q: Why did you decide to join poetry club?

Merchant: I feel like it’s a place where you can be uncensored with no consequences, and it actually has adult influences to help and give advice that’s actually useful.

Q: What does poetry club do?

Anderson: We write, we share, we get feedback, and then we write some more. And if you choose to, you can vocalize it, whether that be in the cafeteria or in front of a larger audience… anywhere that you want to share because you feel like there’s something that needs to change or something you need to voice.

Q: Why do you think it’s important to have this kind of club at Creekview?

Anderson: There’s so many reasons, I’m trying to think of the most important one. Poems, to me, are the ultimate expression of emotion. And I think the common response from students when I mention poetry is “ew I hate poetry.” But I think it’s important to have this club to show people that there’s poetry in everything- songs, advertisements along the highway, political speeches… there’s a kind of poetry in all of them.

Mitchell: Poetry club is important because it just kinda gives you a space to embrace yourself without having to worry about people judging you. It’s just like an open zone for you to express yourself without any care.

Merchant: There aren’t very many places where it’s safe to talk about touchy subjects that even the media ignores, like sexual assault or mental disorders. With poetry club, there’s always someone there to listen. I shared something that I worked really hard on and was met with nothing but positive feedback.

If you love to write, then be sure to check out poetry club. They meet Mondays in room C311 and Wednesdays in portable T-4 from 3:45-4:45 p.m.