AP students’ retesting opportunities to a 100

Back to Article
Back to Article

Christie Nah, Co-Editor

Schools encourage their students to take advanced placement classes in order to increase their chances for success in college; however, some students fail due to its rigorous materials.

According to CFBISD retesting policies, students who fail on a summative assessment must reassess and the teacher shall record the higher of the two grades up to an 85.

However, due to the common matter of failing grades in Advanced Placement classes, teachers often ignore the policy and tend to recreate their own to meet student satisfaction.

AP/Pre AP Chemistry teacher Rachmad Tjachyadi has opened his retesting policy to reassess to a 100 this year and has caused a hot topic among students.

“AP classes are known to be challenging,” Tjachyadi said. “Having this second chance not only motivates the students to try harder but to also build their own unique way of studying these rigorous materials.”

Junior Caydon Mosley is currently taking AP Chemistry and said his opinion on how the opportunities benefited him in that class.

“Without this retest opportunity, I would be failing this class,” Mosley said. “AP Chemistry is also one of the hardest classes to take and we definitely deserve the curve.”

Although some students use these new retesting opportunities to their advantage to maintain satisfactory grades, others believe that they are unjust.

Sophomore Erica Nah, who enjoys surmounting college courses, explained her opposing viewpoint on the issue.

“AP World History isn’t everyone’s cup of tea,” Nah said, “but there are students who really want to take on a challenge and these advantages are unfair to those who do well in the class.”  

Apart from these controversies, the new varieties of grading or retesting policies modified by different teachers are said to be unofficial and is not made clear in the district policies.  

Principal Joseph LaPuma, however, clarified these confusions.

“Teachers have the legal right to enforce their own discretion, as long as they are held accountable,” LaPuma said.