Mustang Media

Law Academy in Review

A+team+picture+from+the+Empire+mock+trial+competition+in+Atlanta%2C+Georgia.+The+team+placed+8th+overall.+
A team picture from the Empire mock trial competition in Atlanta, Georgia. The team placed 8th overall.

Emma Hoffman, Editor-in-Chief

The Year So Far

It may still be the first semester of the school year, but it’s already been a successful year for the law academy.

The waves of success began in mid-October, when the Mock Trial team placed 8th overall at the Empire competition in Atlanta, Georgia.

It is the best they have done at the annual competition in four years.

They also had individual victories at this competition. Senior Nick Hoffman received an award for Outstanding Attorney, and senior Mahak Merchant received an Outstanding Witness award.

“I was surprised, but it was very nice,” Hoffman said. “It was really cool to get that recognition that I am good at mock trial. It helped me feel more confident in my abilities.”

The Mock Trial team’s success continues the weekend before Thanksgiving break when the school’s YMCA teams took home 1st and 3rd place at the YMCA’s district wide competition.

However, the Mock Trial team are not the only ones to be recognized for their efforts.

Near the beginning of the year, the Moot Court team with senior Simon Pena and junior Amena Tep receive 8th overall at the national Princeton Fall Moot Court Competition.

Their success continues when the Moot Court team gets first at a competition based at the University of Texas El Paso.

The teams also secure 1st and 3rd-7th spots at the held at the YMCA district  competition.

More To Come

Even after these many accomplishments, the law academy organizations are not done yet.

Both Mock Trial and Moot Court YMCA teams placed at district, meaning they both will be advancing to the state competition taking place in Austin.

After the Empire competition, the Dallas Bar Association Mock Trial team assembled.

The DBA team is the school’s top mock trial team, and consists of eight members.

Last year they placed fifth in the nation, and hope to make it to nationals again this year. To do so, they will first have to get first in the state, and then advance to nationals.

Senior Kit Hawkins said he feels they will be able to.

“In DBA this year, I feel there’s a very strong team, some very strong new people on the team, and I feel we can have a repeat of last year,” Hawkins said.

As for Moot Court, on top of YMCA state, they are are also preparing for various other competitions, including a virtual tournament by the Harlan Institute, a competition at Duke University, and a competition at Fort Hood.

Pena points out that a lot of people don’t know much about Moot Court, but their program is flourishing. He said he hopes they continue to get more recognition as their organization has more success.

“I’m glad we’ve started to grow,” Pena said.