Mustang Media

How to Pass Finals Without Over-stressing Yourself

Junior Kendall Johnson said he can’t seem to find his focus as he works on his US History review.

Jannat Malik, Staff Member

It’s that time of year again, when students are cramming seven classes worth of reviews into one week. It’s completely normal to overstress about these upcoming tests, but small changes to a planned schedule can help reduce that.

Meg Hawkins, a senior who has made it a personal goal to be the valedictorian this year, said she knows a thing or two about time management to fit in more studying.

“If you ever have a couple extra minutes at the end of class, I recommend getting something easy done so you don’t have to spend time on it later,” Hawkins said. “Prioritize the work by making a list on what needs to be done first or what is the most important.”

Studying nonstop can be useful when it comes to insuring success on these finals, but it can be stressful.

AP English teacher Jessica Stevens said that she believes taking breaks is just as important as doing the work itself.

“When I feel overwhelmed, I need to give myself a mental time out,” Stevens said. “I’m a very social person, so when I’m stressed, I need to be around people to be able to talk about something else. That gives me energy, but that’s because I’m an extrovert. An introvert would need time alone to think and take their mind off of things.”

When it comes to resting and relaxing, Stevens also said that she never compromises her sleep.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

“If I end up staying up later than I should, I won’t be able to focus the next day,” Stevens said. “Even if I have a ton of work due, I always try to sleep on time, because if I sleep I’ll have the mentality to finish my work the next day.”

Procrastinating can take a toll on the time planned for studying. It’s hard to focus on one thing that needs to be done, but junior Desiree Paris broke down ways she eliminates the possibilities for procrastinating.

“If I know I’ll be working on schoolwork for a while, I try to get whatever i can get done beforehand. Eating, changing into pajamas, cleaning, etc.,” Paris said. “I know myself, and I will try to find every excuse to get up and do unimportant things instead of doing work.”

Bertrand Russell, a British philosopher, once said, “One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important.”